March 2010 Update
Dear Friend of Oregon Women’s History:
Thank you so much for taking our survey, answering our phone call or email, meeting with us to give advice, or just being enthusiastic about our work to plan for the Oregon woman suffrage centennial in 2012. We have been busy over the past several months, and we want to share with you some of our accomplishments.
- Developed a blog that raises awareness and provides information about Oregon woman suffrage history and the upcoming centennial including the feature, This Month in Oregon Woman Suffrage History. Read the March entry on 1912 campaign literature at www.oregonsuffrage.org
- Received the support of Secretary of State Kate Brown, who hosted a November 2009 reception at the state archives in Salem and who is highlighting the women’s suffrage centennial in the 2011-2012 Oregon Blue Book
- Recruited the Honorable Barbara Roberts and the Honorable Norma Paulus as our Advisory Board Co-chairs
- Received an Oregon Heritage Commission grant to develop an official 2012 Centennial website as a project of the Northwest History Network. www.northwesthistory.org
- Received a Declaration of Statewide Celebration from the Oregon Heritage Commission to mark the 2012 Oregon Woman Suffrage Centennial.
- And spent many hours networking with scholars, archivists, heritage professionals, educators, women’s organizations, and members of the cultural community to learn their plans for the upcoming centennial and to develop ways we can collaborate on this historic Oregon achievement.
This project has the potential to significantly advance the documentation and analysis of women’s lives in Oregon, work that sorely needs doing. As the central group leading the preparations for this important celebration, our goal is to provide the resources necessary for educators, institutions, and organizations across the state to meaningfully celebrate women’s citizenship in 2012. We have made great progress, and we look forward to working with you as planning continues.
Please consider making a donation today!
You can help provide the matching funds for our Oregon Heritage Commission grant. To date we have raised $3,350 toward our goal of $7,490. Please donate online at www.oregonsuffrage.org or mail a check to the Northwest History Network, 410 SE 12th Avenue, Portland Oregon 97214.
Please keep in touch with ideas for potential events or programs, and keep us updated about your plans for this important anniversary. Forward this email or phone your associates and friends who would be interested in the 2012 women’s suffrage centennial. Ask them to visit www.oregonsuffrage.org to share their ideas and contact information.
Failure is Impossible!
Oregon Woman Suffrage Centennial Committee